Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Math Stations Tips

Happy Tuesday!  I am linking up with A Differentiated Kindergarten to share how I run math stations in kindergarten.




Each day my students do NUMBERs while I work with a small group.  

NUMBERs is an acronym for:

Number activities
Use technology
Meet with the teacher
Buddy games
Explore math tools
Reveiw   

Basically, students have their name on a clip and they place it on this ribbon with the letters for the acronym.



The only students who don't get to make a choice for the day are already placed on the ribbon prior to the day starting by me.  These students are on "M" for Meet with the Teacher.  These are the students I will work with during small group that day.
  

When students arrive in the morning they take their clip from these buckets




and place them on the ribbon.  The little dots on the ribbon allow my students to know how many clips can go on each section.  I also wrote their names so that girls go on one side and boys go on the other side.  When we first started, I just reminded them that their name couldn't be upside and that helped with making sure that boys clips went on one side and girls clips went on the other side.


  
Then, when our NUMBERS math small group starts, I read where the clips are located and students get their supplies from here:




I labeled each tub with a picture that matches what's inside.  I also make the frame around the NUMBERs letters match the color of the buckets that those materials are located in.  For example, everything that is in "N" for number practice is in the column of blue buckets and the frame around the letter "N" is blue.

While students are working, they are quiet and spread out around the room.  The only students who are talking are the students on "B" for Buddy Games.

If you're interested in your own NUMBERs labels, here they are:


5 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Very organized and would work well with Math Workstations or Build. I also like the idea that it gives kiddos a choice. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea. I am looking for something new to do with math. My math stations currently have to change every two weeks and it gets old trying to change activities so much. I would like something that typically stays the same, just the skill gets more challenging. thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica, these are such great ideas. You have great organization for you math stations.
    Marsha
    A Differentiated Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this idea, but I have a question. Do you only meet with those students that are on M that day? I have done groups for math where the students are in 3 groups and they work with 1. Me, 2. My assistant, and 3. Our EIP teacher. This year we are doing EIP a different way so I will have to change up my Math groups. Just trying to see if this would work for me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I do only meet with that one group. With the way our schedule is, it's all there is time for. Sigh...

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...