Wednesday, April 4, 2012

BEST Day Ever!

Today rocked in too many ways to count.  I got to teach all day!  I have a student teacher and she has slowly been picking up each subject as the weeks carried on and she officially started her total teach this past Monday.  She was out today for a job fair and I was the guest teacher.  My kids had no idea I would be the guest teacher and they were sooooo excited when they saw me.  Our day together was awesome x 100!

We started the day with calendar, but stopped quickly when we saw there was a note on the calendar wall.


When we opened it, we learned that it was from the calendar caper.


He stated he came and took something from our calendar wall and that my students needed to figure out what was missing.
 

We learned he took some of our coins from our piggy bank.

He also stated that he messed up the calendar wall and my kiddos needed to help me fix everything.  The calendar caper said he did all this because my class is too smart and he wanted to see if he could trick them.  My kids had a blast playing detective.

We also had a mystery to solve in science using our Mystery Box, inspired by Abby



After our inferring and predicting, we learned there was a bunny in the mystery box, along with the lyrics to The Bunny Pokey.


After doing The Bunny Pokey, we read a book about bunnies.  The bunny book and dance can be found in Randi's Bunny Ears pack.


We then completed a guided drawing activity to learn how to draw bunnies.  My cuties then had to add to their picture what their bunny would need to survive.


Then we completed a tree map about bunnies.


These activities helped kick off our animal study.

We also enjoyed playing Michelle's sight word game using this big carrot.  My cuties tossed it back and forth and read the sight words on the carrot.


We also did some carrot eating subtraction.  I showed carrots and my bunny basket.  The bunny ate some carrots and my cuties had to write the subtraction problem.


I found the eggs at Dollar Tree and the basket at Target.


We also enjoyed a visit from our favorite old lady who read us The Old Lady Who Swallowed a Chick.  They love seeing my puppets sitting in my chair after lunch with our read aloud.


We sequenced the story using these cards from Wild About Teaching!


Love, love, love my cuties!


Once the school day was finished, I headed to McDonald's for McTeacher Night.  It was a blast of a fundraiser!


I am the cheeseburger!  He he he!

Enjoy your Wednesday!

12 comments:

  1. How fun Erica!! It looks like you and your little cuties had a wonderful day!

    Nicole
    Rowdy in Room 300

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. Teach Your Child to Read Today!

      Reading is one of the most important skills one must master to succeed in life. It helps your child succeed in school, helps them build self-confidence, and helps to motivate your child. Being able to read will help your child learn more about the world, understand directions on signs and warnings on labels, allow them to discover reading as an entertainment, and help them gather information.

      Learning to read is very different from learning to speak, and it does not happen all at once. There is a steady progression in the development of reading ability over time. The best time for children to start learning to read is at a young age - even before they enter pre-school. Once a child is able to speak, they can begin developing basic reading skills. Very young children have a natural curiosity to learn about everything. They are naturally intrigued by the printed texts they see, and are eager to learn about the sounds made by those letters. You will likely notice that your young child likes to look at books and thoroughly enjoys being read to. They will even pretend to behave like a reader by holding books and pretend to read them.

      At what age can you start teaching a child to read? When they're babies? At 2 years old, 3, 4, or 5 years old, or wait until they're in school?

      If you delay your child's reading skill development until he or she enters school, you are putting your child at risk...

      Did you know that 67% of all Grade 4 students cannot read at a proficient level! According to the National Assessment of Educational Progress, of those 67%, 33% read at just the BASIC level, and 34% CANNOT even achieve reading abilities of the lowest basic level!

      There is a super simple and extremely effective system that will even teach 2 and 3 year old children to read.

      This is a unique reading program developed by two amazing parents and reading teachers, Jim and Elena, who successfully taught their four children to read before turning 3 years old. The reading system they developed is so effective that by the time their daughter was just 4 years 2 months old, she was already reading at a grade 3 level. They have videos to prove it.

      >> Click here to watch the videos and learn more.

      Their reading system is called Children Learning Reading, and it is nothing like the infomercials you see on TV, showing babies appearing to read, but who have only learned to memorize a few word shapes. This is a program that will teach your child to effectively decode and read phonetically. It will give your child a big head start, and allow you to teach your child to read and help your child develop reading skills years ahead of similar aged children.

      This is not a quick fix solution where you put your child in front of the TV or computer for hours and hope that your child learns to "read"... somehow...

      This is a reading program that requires you, the parent, to be involved. But the results are absolutely amazing. Thousands of parents have used the Children Learning Reading program to successfully teach their children to read.

      All it takes is 10 to 15 minutes a day.

      >> Click here to get started right now. How to Teach a 2 or 3 Year Old to Read.

      Delete
  2. Oh and p.s. I LOVE your new blog design - I looked up creating and designing and might have to have her design something for me!

    Nicole
    Rowdy in Room 300

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the calendar caper! Such a cute idea! I just posted on my blog about the funny things my kindergarten kiddos say. I'd love some new friends, some come on over (new to this blogging adventure in February)!

    Amanda
    www.averycuriousclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe, your day sounded fabulous! What a cute and fun day :)

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would totally agree that your day was fun!! Love the calendar caper idea!! Just found your darling blog and became your newest follower!!
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your new blog design! Looks like a super fun day!

    Kelly
    Kindergarten Kel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post and the calendar caper..will have to remember that one! My student teacher just started and although she's just taking over transitions at this point I already miss them! I'm sure you just loved your amazing day with them =)
    Bobbie

    http://thedailycupcake-akindergartenblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did the carrot activity!!! FUN!! Thanks for linking up to me! :)

    Michelle

    Apples and ABC's

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your new blog design! It's so fresh and fun! I am so excited that you used my Bunny Ears unit. Thank you!!! I need to try the egg drop next year. That sounds so fun!

    Randi @ Teach It With Class
    My TPT Store
    My Facebook Page

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...