Friday, March 2, 2012

How to Start the Daily 5 in Your Kinder Classroom ~ Part 3

I promise I have not forgotten about my Daily 5 posts.  Believe it or not, I've been busy. (!)

So let's review real fast.  You have organized your library, read the book, bought book boxes/bags, and have introduced building stamina.  We covered these components in my previous posts.  Now onto the third day of Daily Five.

On the third day of school, I showed my cuties the stamina graph 


and asked them to tell me what the graph tells us.  I was so surprised to hear them comment that it is a graph that shows our reading stamina!  Sprinkles to my kinders!  I let them know that we are going to build our stamina again in our book nooks, but first we are going to talk about their jobs as students and my job as a teacher.  We created this I chart to help them understand the jobs we each have during Read to Self.  It is very important to make this chart with your students and allow them to decide what their jobs are during Read to Self.

  
 Click here to see more examples of I charts.

After completing the I chart, we read this book:

 
We used this book to understand why we read during Read to Self.  We added our thinking about why we read to the I chart.  It's the print that is in green near the top of the chart.

Then we learned our new book nooks for the day from our Book Nooks chart


and started building our stamina.  It was wonderful to see my whole class practicing the three ways to read their books on the third day of school.  Make sure that you are always searching for anyone who breaks stamina.  You need to immediately call the whole class back to the meeting place when one kiddo stops reading.  You want to make sure you are building the correct muscle memory.  Once you are all back together, then you will graph your stamina for the day and be super excited for their success for the day.  

You will continue building stamina each day until they reach a predetermined number of minutes.  Our goal was ten minutes, which we accomplished pretty quickly.  Once we met our goal, I allowed my cuties time to decorate their book boxes.  

During the two weeks, while we continued building our stamina, I would also teach reading strategy lessons from The Sisters Cafe book, mini lessons on how to care for our book boxes, and a mini lesson on how to use our whisper phones and magnifying glasses. 


Whisper phones and magnifying glasses are not a necessary component of the Daily 5, but they are useful tools for younger students to help them with their Read to Self.  I was blessed to receive a class set of these phones from Donors Choose last year when I taught second grade and love, love, love them!  I was given the magnifying glasses from a retired teacher.  I showed my cuties how to use these items correctly by first allowing them to explore the materials and then showing them how to use them properly.  We use the magnifying glasses to search for letters we know, then sight words, etc.  Both of these items are still in their book boxes and my cuties use them all the time.  

So continue building stamina until you achieve your predetermined goal.  You will not move on to the next component of Daily 5 until you have built stamina for staying in one place and working the whole time.  I will be back next time with how to choose good fit books.  



Please let me know if you have any questions so I can answer them next time.  :)

14 comments:

  1. I love your book nook page!! I always have a problem with the kids deciding where to read!! It seems pretty simple - but maybe a chart to tell them where they can do would help. :) Do you let them choose or do they choose themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I have The Daily Five book, and the CAFE book is on it's way. I've actually started to read Teaching with Intention by Debbie Miller first. But I think this year I will definitely introduce building stamina and also the anchor chart on what our jobs are. I also read that same Todd Parr book at the beginning of every year.

    Angela
    The Daily Alphabet

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great info!!! On my list for summer is really reading and getting ready for implementing the Daily 5 in K! I do a somewhat watered down version - but can't wait to start fresh next year! Definitely coming back to these posts!

    Arianne
    Ketchen's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea to use whispys and magnifying glasses in their book boxes!
    jeannie
    Kindergarten Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  6. You said your kids reached 10 minutes pretty quickly, but how long would you say that took? 2 weeks? 6 weeks? I want to be in the right mind frame and not rush my kiddos and if I have a ballpark number that would help! Thanks and keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing!! I am not sure what the actual book says to do, but your recommendations (with my personal twist) have done wonders and it is only the 7th day of school! Today my kinders wanted to "try again" for the stamina building!!! I am excited to add in the work on writing element. How long do your rounds last usually?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your plan for the first weeks has been SOOOOO helpful! This is my first year with Daily 5 and I was somewhat skeptical. But, I have to say, I am truly amazed. The kids are fabulous! They want to keep working on building their stamina. Today was day 3 and they made it to 13 minutes!!!!! And, really, my barometer child was just slightly distracted by my working with 2 children individually. He wanted to know when it was his turn! This is just amazing! LOVE IT. Next week I am introducing, Working with Words and will surely use your ideas! Thanks so much for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for making the Daily 5 kindergarten appropriate. I am enjoying reading the book and your posts. I have been declared surplussed from my school and will hopefully be getting a few interviews in the next days and I want to impress them with my new approach to the literacy block.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my first year teaching and I've been reading your blog every day to see how to teach Daily 5 to my kindergarteners! Thanks SO much for posting! That is one part of planning I have not been stressing about because I know I can come home and read your blog and I will know just what to do! You're the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your help has been invaluable!
    We are at 13 minutes stamina... Would you say that shooting for 20 minutes should be the ultimate max for kindergarten?

    ReplyDelete
  12. how early in the year did you implement The Daily 5?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...