Sunday, September 13, 2015

Retelling with Pete the Cat (and a Pete freebie!)

To all of my fellow school teacher peeps - Way to go on making it through the start of the year!  I am in my 12th year of teaching and I always forget how hard it is to get the year going and get into routine.

One of our first week lessons is about retelling a story - which is one of the three ways to read a book in Daily 5.  One of the ways to help littles on the third day of school understand this way to read is with our favorite feline - PETE!

We listen to the story of Pete the Cat - I Love my White Shoes and retell with my felt Pete the Cats pieces.




Then we used these buckets to walk through and kinesthetically retell the story. Students walked in a circle and stepped in each bucket then out of the bucket and onto the colored shoe.  Before students completed this activity I acted it out and changed my shoes with each bucket.



If you want the printables for this, click here.

After my littles understood retelling the story, they worked as a table to make a poster of each of the items Pete stepped in.  I love seeing my cuties work hard together, especially on the third day of school!


 



I also found this awesome Pete retelling activity but could not, for the life of me, print it off.  If you figure it out, please let me know.

http://www.teachwithme.com/downloads/item/4535-pete-the-cat-activities

Blessings to you this year!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Erica,

    I just tried the link to the "Teach with Me" website....you have to sign up for an account, verify the account from a link in the email that they send you, then go back to the website and you can download the freebies.

    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. just click on the star below and you get it!
    mary

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...