Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Black History Month

I enjoy teaching my cuties about diversity this time of year.  It ties in so well with understanding Black History Month

We started our study this week by reading The Colors of Us.


This precious book is about a little girl's journey to create different shades of paint so she can paint her friends and family.  She names each shade she creates a different name, such as cinnamon, toast, and honey.

Then we created paint that matched our skin color.  We mixed bits of yellow, peach, white, black, brown, and red on the back of our hands until we found the correct color.



We mixed the colors in a Dixie cup.



 Once the paint was mixed, my kinders painted a portrait and wrote at the bottom "I am ___________."  In the blank, they named their skin color like in the book.


Don't you have green hair?  Ha ha ha! 

I was so proud of my cuties' understanding that no one's skin is really black and that all of our skin is different from each other.

Love these little ones so much!



5 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda,
    Nice to meet you! And thanks for visiting my blog.
    That's a lovely activity you did with your kiddies :)

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cute...stealing this for next week :)...it will be perfect for black history and friendship!
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I love this!! Definitely doing this next week!

    The Daily Alphabet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! Thank you for sharing it! :)
    Cheryl
    Crayons and Curls

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful lesson Erica!! Thanks for sharing your idea! I love the naming of skin colors!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...